Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Jeb Bush

In Jeb Bush's new book "Immigration Wars" he makes the statement that there should be no path to citizenship for illegal immigrants to become citizens.  That makes about as much sense as if your dog pooped on the carpet once and you send it back to the pound right away.  Although overstaying a visa, or entering the USA without documentation is illegal, it is not a fellony.  Everyone breaks the law on a semi regular basis, I mean who really stops fully at stop signs? But does that mean we should be sent to jail because of it?   The answer is no, if we wouldn't do it to ourselves then why would we do it to others?  
He also states that in order for dreamers to become "citizens" they must show no serious crimes, must have a GED/ Hight school or served in our armed forces, then they can apply and in five years they may get citizenship.  Although I am not 100% for the Dreamers act as is, the fact that these people who have lived basically their whole life in the USA and who have become members of this society have to wait 5 years for a piece of paper I find a bit ridiculous.
"It must be a basic perquisite for citizenship to respect the rule of the law."  States Jeb, well in that case count me out, I cant be a citizen myself.  I wont lie I have broken the law there is no doubt about that, but does that mean I don't have what I need to be a citizen?  Yes I have a piece of paper stating I was born in the USA, but I may not make as big of a contribution to our Nation as someone who does not.  You know the saying "Well behaved women rarely make history."  It is the same for everything else, we need people who do not constantly follow the law in order to make social changes in society.  So if always following the rules was truly what it meant to be American, well we would all be screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment